Friday, February 26, 2010

An Introduction

My name is Bernadette, but my friends call me lots of different things. My preferred nickname at the moment would have to be "Bern." I'm 38 years old and about to embark on the arduous, often painful and humiliating, journey of auditioning for symphony orchestras. I will likely be competing with other violinists who are in their early 20s and fresh out of conservatory. Why would I want to put myself through this, you ask? Good question!

I've been playing the violin since I was 9 years old. Given that most professional violinists started at the age of 4, I have been at a disadvantage for some time. However, I have been a musician for my entire life, and playing in a professional orchestra has been a dream of mine for decades. And I haven't given myself the chance to fulfill this dream, until now. I did take a couple of auditions a few years ago, but quickly got discouraged and stopped trying. My dear violin teacher, Sascha, told me not to give up until I had taken "at least 40 auditions!!" At the time, I thought he was crazy - but now I have come full circle and am ready for the challenge!

I have a few obstacles to overcome whilst preparing, and one of them is the fact that I have a 23-month-old beautiful daughter named Skye who requires my undivided attention for about 10 hours of the day. So, my practicing is taking place mostly when she is asleep. I also have a problem with cubital tunnel syndrome, which presents in my left elbow and radiates down to my wrist and to my ring and pinky fingers. My current "gig" with the Melbourne Opera Company is about to start up again with the performance of BARBER OF SEVILLE fast approaching. This will definitely infringe on my practice time. Finally, taking auditions can get expensive. You need to buy plane tickets for wherever the audition is, and sometimes find hotel accommodation. Not to mention taking some lessons beforehand and/or rehearsing with the accompanist. It all adds up!!

My goal is set: to get a job as a violinist in a professional symphony orchestra. And here begins my journey - I am prepared to take up to 40 auditions to reach my goal! I do hope I won't have to take that many!! My next couple blogs will describe my first 2 auditions that I took back in 2005. One was for Opera Australia and the other was for Orchestra Victoria. Audition #3 will be in Sydney again for the Sydney Symphony Orchestra! Stay tuned for updates on my 40 auditions...

8 comments:

  1. Alright! Go Bern.
    How many auditions will you have in Australia v's America?
    I'm sure you will succeed!
    Break a leg!
    Lachlan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes to you Bern as you embark on this journey. You know I had one teacher who said to me, "Sondra, you have already won before you have played a note at the audition. You see, all the preparation has made you a better player, and that is your real prize." I hope you win the job you want! Unfortunately, right now there are no violin openings in the Dallas Opera, but I'll let you know if that changes. All the best!
    xoxo,
    Sondra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Bernie go! I know u can cuz!
    <3 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernadillo! You're a beautiful player ... you do well! XXXX Keryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernie — So cool! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to following along on your adventure. Knock 'em dead! - Curt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go after your dreams! Hannah auditions for MYSO in April. You can be her inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are always doing the brave thing. Positive energy is being sent you way. Best wishes! Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go Bernie,
    I know auditioning can b daunting take it from me. But half of the journey is getting yourself up there to do them ! I guess all you can do is stay focused when your up there and the more distractions we eliminate while audiontioning the better we do. Work on the process rather than the outcome, if the process is the best you can do then the outcome will be the best it can be, and sooner or later it's got to happen.. P C

    ReplyDelete