Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Audition #1

My first audition was back in September of 2005, just 3 weeks after I moved to Australia. It was for Opera Australia in Sydney. Although they perform at the famous opera house, the audition was held in a different building. I was asked to prepare the following excerpts:


Puccini - MANON LESCAUT, Act 1, beginning to mm. 29
Beethoven - LEONORE Overture, 4 bars before the Presto to 21 bars after
Mascagni - CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA, Intermezzo (all)
Mozart - MARRIAGE OF FIGARO, No. 5 Duettino, beginning to C (2nd Violin part)
Offenbach - TALES OF HOFFMANN, Finale of Act 2, reh. 118 to 7 bars after 124


I also had to prepare the 1st movement of a Mozart Concerto and the 1st movement of a violin concerto from the romantic period. For these, I chose Mozart's 5th Violin Concerto in A, and the Sibelius Violin Concerto.


It's hard for me to remember a lot of details of the day of my audition. I think I was really overwhelmed. I do remember being brought to a big room filled with lots of other hopeful violinists, and being given a number. It's sort of like waiting to be called at the deli counter, but instead of coming away with some lunchmeat it is you who are served up on a plate. When I was about 2nd in line to be called, they brought me to a private warmup room and told me which excerpts they wanted to hear. I remember the first one was MARRIAGE OF FIGARO, but I can't remember the other one. While I was warming up, I could hear the some other violinists warming up as well. It's very hard at that point not to compare yourself to the other fantastic players that you can hear. I'm sure that I psyched myself out at that point, and my confidence was nowhere to be found. 


I was ushered out onto the stage where there was a lonely music stand and a big screen blocking out whoever was back there listening. So I played the first excerpt, and I thought I did pretty well. But before I could start the second excerpt I heard from behind the screen "Thank you." That means that they had heard enough. So I took my music off the stand, turned around and walked back to the big room, with the sound of my footsteps on the hardwood floor ringing in my ears. I was asked to wait until they posted the results to see if I made it to the 2nd round, even though I knew already that I hadn't made the cut. So I had to try to keep it together in front of all these other people, when all I wanted to do was get out of there and put this behind me. I hadn't yet build up my audition artillery - the thick skin I so desperately needed.


Looking back, I can at least say I tried. And I had a lovely time in Sydney! What a beautiful city... I did learn that I needed to put a lot more into my preparation next time, and to practice more efficiently to achieve better results. Next up, Audition #2 - my audition for Orchestra Victoria back in April of 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment